Thursday, September 3, 2009

What would I need to do to adequately prepare my students before the visit(consider adaptations for English learners and students with special needs)?

1. Before my students and I set off to the tidepools, I will go over what the safety rules are and why they need to follow them. I will have my class buddy up so that each student is responsible for his/herself and his/her buddy. This will ensure that no student will be left unwatched to be able to roam about freely along the beach.

2. Also, I will go over the pictorial images of the animals that students will see at the tidepools so that, when they come across them on the beach or in the water, the students will know what they are looking at.

3. Next, students need to make sure that they have the proper sun coverage as well as lunch and water supply. We will be spending an immense amount of time in the blazing sun so students need to make sure they are protected. After a couple of hours, we will be eating lunch on the beach. Students need to make sure they have enough water to keep them hydrated as well as have plenty of food to fuel their energy.

4. Finally, I will make sure that all students’ questions have been answered while we are in the classroom setting so that I can adequately address any questions, comments, or concerns they may have.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of these!! You've really covered all of the bases. The ocean can be a very dangerous place, so safety MUST come first.

    ReplyDelete